Well, we’re at the end of the month. I’m not going to give you figures at this stage because I think more useful will be the balance immediately prior to getting paid (which is still 14 days away). And that will set up more useful monthly updates. However, I thought this would be a great opportunity to give you a bit of an update on how the month has gone, some of the wins and some of the losses.
- “Found” $97.29 in savings via Acorns. If you’d like to harness the power of your ‘spare change’, join Acorns by clicking this link. Both of us will get $2.50 added to our accounts – at no additional cost to you!
- Sold my Macbook Pro.
- Closed two historical accounts in Victoria which will result in about $100 being returned to me, once the final statements are issued.
- Rented out my carpark for $250/month.
- Accrued ‘cashback’ on a couple of essential purchases, which I’ll be able to access in April / May
- Paid out & closed my Certegy account.
- Paid out my Ferratum “payday loan” (Caveat – there’s now another one, see Losses below).
- Paid out my overdraft, but will likely have to delve into it again over the next month to make ends meet.
- Saved some serious cash on my Fridge. I scored a free $100 Harvey Norman voucher and a Waeco Cooler that I sold on Gumtree for $120.
- Was underpaid by nearly $1,500 for reasons discussed in my previous post.
- Moving house cost nearly double what I’d budgeted, due to the lifts in my old building breaking down on move-day, resulting in cancellation fees and having to move on a Saturday rather than a cheaper weekday.
- Took out another Ferratum “payday loan” of $400, which will cost me $96 in fees and interest.
- Overdrew my ANZ Visa by $590
- Overdrew my GEM Visa by $105
So, I really do feel like I am going backwards at the moment. Despite my best intentions at the start of January, my income was down, my expenses were up and I just don’t feel like I’m making any headway.
January was always going to be tough – I moved house, had to make the final payment on my dog and, of course, had to make a couple of really big ticket purchases (like a fridge). It’s really been tough, and I was badly caught out by the shortfall in my income.
I guess the major takeaway, though, is that I need an emergency fund!
So, with just over two weeks until I get paid, I’m going to struggle on and see if I can live on the small amount of cash in my wallet. I’m also going to really speed up the selling of my stuff.
It’s really disappointing that this is where it’s ended up this month. I feel like I’m rapidly selling all my stuff and not making any headway! Is there an answer to this feeling?